Notification of Criminal Incident – Seattle Campus
December 16, 2022
This message is being communicated to all faculty, staff and Seattle campus students with the approval of the UW Police Department. This message is sent in the interest of public safety and in compliance with federal law requiring timely warning notification of crimes committed on or near campus. This is not a UW Alert message. For information regarding UW Alert and to sign up to receive UW Alert notifications, visit www.uwalert.org.
At around 6:45 a.m. Friday, Dec. 16, 2022, UWPD officers responded to a fire alarm in the Paul G. Allen Center for Computer Science & Engineering. A garbage receptacle was found burned and melted in the women’s bathroom on the fourth floor. There are no suspects at this time and no one was injured in this incident.
If you witnessed this incident or have additional information about this crime or the suspect, please call the University of Washington Police Department at (206) 685-8973. To report a crime in progress, or other suspicious activities or persons, call 911.
This case is being investigated by the University of Washington Police Department under Case #2022-00019430.
Crime prevention tips for similar incidents:
- Remain vigilant of your surroundings.
- Remove yourself from potentially dangerous situations as soon as possible.
- Report suspicious behavior.
- Avoid confrontations.
If you suspect criminal activity, here is some helpful information to pass on to the police:
- Clothing descriptors: Look for layers under the visible layer, other distinctive identifiers, etc.
- Physical characteristics: Height, weight, eye and hair color, mannerisms, scars or tattoos.
- Direction of travel (by foot or automobile).
Contact the University of Washington Police Department’s Community Engagement Unit at 206-685-1916 for additional crime prevention information.