Welcome to the UW’s Police Department
On behalf of the men and women of the University of Washington Police Department (UWPD), it is my pleasure to welcome you to our Web site. Here you can learn about our services, pick up some crime prevention tips and find ways you can help foster and maintain an environment that supports everyone’s wellbeing. Although no campus is free from crime, we are committed to partnering together with you to create a safe place to live, work and study.
UW is the largest university with the largest athletic facility in the state. The University of Washington is a world-class institution attracting talent from all over the world. The UWPD seeks to reflect that diversity, talent and dedication in the men and women of the UWPD. The UW Police Department is accredited through the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies. Initially accredited in 2005, the agency has maintained compliance with 369 national standards/best practices and achieved re-accreditation in 2008, 2011 and 2014. As a full-service law enforcement agency, we are here 24 hours a day throughout the year with our own 911 dispatching center, detective unit and community outreach unit among other functions. By collaborating with you and all our other partners across the campus and across the region, we address quality of life issues along with criminal activity. To that end, the UW Police Department is committed to:
• Access – The University of Washington Police Department works to create a safe and secure environment in which students, staff and faculty can follow their intellectual, creative and academic pursuits.
• Engagement – The University of Washington Police Department is committed to collaborating with the community to maintain a safe environment for the students, faculty and staff who make this university great. The UWPD can’t do our work alone. We rely on you, the community, to partner with us.
• Diversity – The UWPD actively seeks a work environment rich in diverse backgrounds and ideas. We strive to reflect the diversity of our community in our hiring practices to better collaborate with, connect with and understand those we serve.
• Care – We take pride in our excellent customer service, rigorous follow up on cases and quick response time to calls as well as our array of crime prevention services and programs. We approach each encounter with members of our community, whether it be a social contact, crime prevention talk, traffic stop or arrest, as another opportunity to highlight our commitment to service and accountability.
“At 3 o’clock in the morning, we are here for you.”
• Student Learning – The UWPD fosters the next generation of leaders by providing learning opportunities within our department (such as our intern program) and the security necessary for students to engage in academic pursuits, such as attending a controversial lecture for which we provide security, walking to a night class with one of our security guard escorts or living in the residence halls assured by the presence of officers solely assigned to those buildings.
I extend an invitation to everyone in our community to call upon me or any of the UWPD team members with suggestions for making our campus a safer place. Please feel free to contact me at 206.543.0521 or via email at email@example.com. We look forward to continued collaboration with you throughout the year. I hope you find the information on our Web site helpful as you continue to live, work and study at the University of Washington.
John N. Vinson, Ph.D.
Chief of Police