UW Police

Request a Copy of a Police Report

Contact Police Records: policerecords@uw.edu

Request a Police Record: police report / information request form

If you want to review any identifiable police report, you may come to the UWPD during business hours (Monday through Friday) and review an appropriately edited report. It will take less time if you contact us at policerecords@uw.edu for an appointment first.

To request a copy of a police report, submit a request to:

University of Washington Police Department
Attn: Police Records
3939 15th Ave NE
Seattle, WA 98105
Or by phone: 206.221.5365, Or by email: policerecords@uw.edu

To process your request, the following information may be required:

  • Your name, address, contact information
  • Your relationship to the case; for example, “victim”
  • The incident/case number
  • The date, time and location of the incident


If we issued you an infraction or citation and you know the infraction/citation number, you can find a PDF copy of the front of your infraction/citation on the King County Court Web site. When you enter the number, you will need to insert an extra 0 after the ‘C’ or ‘I’ for a total of nine characters. Please note that it may take several days or more for the infraction/citation to be posted on the court Web site.

If your case has been referred to and accepted by a prosecutor, your attorney will automatically receive copies of all crime reports under the discovery process. If your case has not been referred to or not accepted by a prosecutor, you may receive a copy of the police report as listed above.

Insurance Claims:

If you need a copy of a report to make an insurance claim, either as a result of a crime or a traffic accident, notify your insurance company to contact UWPD directly with the identifying information. The processing fee for insurance-related requests is $8.00 per report. Checks should be made payable to the University of Washington Police Department. Please include a postage-paid return envelope.

The address is:

University of Washington Police Department
Attn: Police Records
3939 15th Ave. NE
Seattle, WA 98105

Requests under the Public Records Act (PRA)

If you wish to review or inspect any specific records of the University of Washington Police Department available under the Public Records Act (PRA), you may make a Public Disclosure request. Requests for records available under the PRA should be sent to Office of Public Records & Open Public Meetings, 4311 11th Ave NE, #360, Seattle, WA 98105-6203, 206.543.9180 or by email: pubrec@uw.edu.

UWPD Records FAQ

How long will it take for me to receive my report?

Are all University Records open to the public?

Are my records requests confidential?

Where can I view the Crime Log?

What if I still have questions?

1 1

  • How long will it take for me to receive my report?
    1. Once we receive your request, we will respond within five business days
    2. Our response will consist of one of the following actions:
      1. Release of the records
      2. Request for clarification
      3. Providing acknowledgement and a time estimate for when the University believes it might be able to provide the records. This time period is subject to change depending on the difficulties and size of the public records request.
      4. Denial of the request.
        1. Under RCW 42.56.210 certain personal and other records are exempt. If a request is denied, you will receive a written statement explaining why the request was denied and the specific exemption.
  • Are all University Records open to the public?
    1. Under the Public Records Act (PRA), public records are defined as: information, regardless of physical form or characteristics that have been created or received by the UWPD. This can include emails, paper documents, reports, forms, recordings, etc.
    2. However, certain information may be withheld or exempted under RCW 42.56.230 & RCW 42.56.240.
    3. Examples of Redactions:
      1. Social security numbers
      2. Driver’s license numbers
      3. Student education records as provided under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
    4. Examples of Exemptions:
      1. Records pertaining to an active investigation
      2. Intelligence information
      3. Requested Nondisclosure
      4. Identity of witnesses/victims/complainants if it would endanger them
  • Are my records requests confidential?
    1. No, once we receive your public records request, the request itself becomes a public record of the University and can then be requested by others.
  • Where can I view the Crime Log?
    1. You can view the UWPD Crime log here.
  • What if I still have questions?
    1. If you still have questions, please feel free to contact the Records department at the University of Washington Police Department at 206-616-8380 or email us at policerecords@uw.edu.

1 1