Notification of Criminal Incident – Seattle Campus
Sunday, Sept. 4, 2016
Armed Robbery – University District
The University of Washington Police Department was recently notified that on Sunday, Sept. 4, 2016, at 5:56 p.m., Seattle police responded to an armed robbery at a clothing store in the 4700 Block of University Way NE. The suspect took an undisclosed amount of cash and left the area. The victim at the store described the suspect as a white male, 20 to 30 years old, 5-foot-10, 165 pounds, with a slender build and short, dark brown hair. The suspect was wearing a black baseball cap; dark sunglasses; a black, spandex-style scarf covering his face; a black, long-sleeve, crew-neck T-shirt; black jeans; and black gloves. The man appeared to have a wooden-handled handgun in his waistband but did not brandish the firearm. The victim was not injured. Seattle police searched the area but were unable to find the suspect.
If you witnessed this incident or have additional information about this crime or suspect, please call the Seattle Police Department at 206-625-5011. The case report number is 16-321074. To report a crime in progress, or other suspicious activities or persons, call 911.
Crime Prevention Tips for Similar Incidents:
- Remain calm and do what the person demands you do.
- Avoid confrontations whenever possible.
- Remove yourself from potentially dangerous situations as soon as possible.
On campus, call Husky NightWalk: 206-685-WALK (9255) for a security guard escort to various locations on campus, 7 days a week.
If you suspect criminal activity, some helpful information to pass on to the police:
- Call 911 immediately.
- Clothing descriptors: Look for layers under the visible layer and other distinctive identifiers.
- Physical characteristics: Describe height, weight, eyes, hair, mannerisms, scars/tattoos.
- Direction of travel (by foot or automobile): Describe the last known location of the suspect.
- Suspect vehicle description: color, year, model, make and license plate.
- Any weapons involved.
Contact the University of Washington Police Department’s Community Engagement Unit at 206-897-1706 for additional crime prevention information.