During the early morning hours of Wednesday, Aug. 8, a man standing near the sidewalk in the 2100 block of NE 47th Street approached a woman from behind and grabbed her. He demanded her property and when she refused to hand it over, the man struck her in the face and on her head before she was able to break free. She saw a semiautomatic handgun in his right hand and ran away from the area. She believed the man left in the opposite direction. The victim, who Seattle police identified as a UW student, was not seriously injured. Ten minutes later the incident was reported by a third party. Seattle police checked the area but did not locate the suspect.
The victim described the suspect as a white man in his early 20s with dark curly hair and a thin build, wearing glasses and a black T-shirt.
If you witnessed this incident or have additional information about this crime or the suspects, please call the Seattle Police Department at 206-625-5011. The Seattle Police Department case report number is 18-296613. To report a crime in progress, or other suspicious activities or persons, call 911.
Crime Prevention Tips for Similar Incidents:
* Avoid confrontations whenever possible.
* When walking at night, do so with others or use Nightwalk on campus.
* Remove yourself from potentially dangerous situations as soon as possible.
If you suspect criminal activity, here is some helpful information to pass on to the police:
* Clothing descriptors: Look for layers under the visible layer, other distinctive identifiers, etc.
* Physical characteristics: Height, weight, eye and hair color, mannerisms, scars or tattoos.
* Direction of travel, and whether traveling by foot or automobile.
Contact the University of Washington Police Community Engagement Unit at 206-685-1916 for additional crime prevention information.