Notification of a Criminal Incident – Seattle Campus May 3, 2017
Shooting & Robbery
Just after midnight on May 3, 2017, Seattle Police responded to a report of shots fired in the 5200 block of 19th Avenue NE. When officers arrived on scene they found a female victim who had sustained multiple gunshot wounds lying on the ground. Officers provided aid to the victim, a UW student, until Seattle Fire Medics were able to arrive and transport her to Harborview Medical Center for treatment of injuries sustained in the attack. Officers searched the area and located multiple 9mm shell casings. During this time, Dispatch notified officers of a robbery four blocks from where the shooting had occurred.
Officers arrived at the reported robbery and determined that the two scenes may be related, but the robbery victim was not cooperative. The suspects are described as three males in a dark colored sedan. If you have any information regarding this case, please call 206-233-5000. This case is being investigated by the Seattle Police Department under case number 2017-
To report a crime in progress, or other suspicious activities or persons, call 911.
Crime Prevention Tips for Similar Incidents:
* Avoid confrontations whenever possible.
* Remove yourself from potentially dangerous situations as soon as possible.
* Walk with friends if possible, especially after dark.
* Be cognizant of your surroundings at all times.
* Call Husky NightWalk: 206-685-WALK (9255) for a security guard escort to various locations on campus.
If you suspect criminal activity, some helpful information to pass on to the police:
* Call 911 immediately.
* Clothing descriptors- look for layers under the visible layer, other distinctive design identifiers, etc.
* Physical characteristics – height, weight, eyes, hair, mannerisms, scars/tattoos.
* Direction of travel (by foot or automobile).
* Suspect vehicle description, including license plate.
* Any weapons involved.
Contact the University of Washington Police Department at (206) 543-9331 for additional crime prevention information.