Notification of Criminal Incident – Seattle Campus
April 9, 2018
This message is being sent to all faculty, staff and Seattle campus students with the approval of the UW Police Department. This message is being sent in the interest of public safety and in compliance with federal law requiring timely warning notification of crimes committed on or near campus. This is not a UW Alert message. For information regarding UW Alert and to sign up to receive UW Alert notifications, visit www.uwalert.org.
On April 7 at 1:40 a.m., Seattle police responded to a report of a sexual assault in the alley west of the 5000 block of 17th Avenue NE. Seattle police arrived and searched the area but did not locate the suspects.
The suspects are described as follows: The first was a black man in his early 20s, 6-foot-3, wearing a red hooded sweatshirt with a black vest and black pants. The second suspect was a black man in his early 20s, 6-foot-0, wearing a red hooded sweatshirt and black pants. The third suspect was a black man wearing a red hooded sweatshirt.
If you witnessed this incident or have additional information, please contact Detective Atkinson at 206-684-5588. The Seattle Police Department case report number is 18-121864. To report a crime in progress, or other suspicious activities or persons, call 911.
Crime prevention tips for similar incidents:
* Perpetrators are solely responsible for their behavior.
* Trust your instincts. If you feel unsafe, get to a safe place and call for help.
* Sexual assault is a crime and a violation of the UW Student Conduct Code.
* On campus, call Husky NightWalk: 206-685-WALK (9255) for a security guard escort, seven days a week.
If you experience sexual assault:
* Go to a safe place.
* To report the crime, notify police immediately.
* Call a friend, a family member, or advocate who can be with you and give you support.
* Get medical care as soon as possible.
* Preserve all physical evidence of the assault.
* For more information, see http://www.washington.edu/sexualassault/
For help with a variety of safety concerns, including dating violence, sexual assault and stalking, contact the UWPD victim advocate at 206-543-9337. The University of Washington’s Safe Campus Office at 206-685-SAFE (7233) can also provide support and assistance for campus community members.