Notification of Criminal Incident – Seattle Campus
March 16, 2018
At 8:45 p.m. on Thursday, March 15, Seattle police responded to help a man who had been standing at the intersection of NE 47th Street and University Way NE and was suddenly pepper sprayed in his face. The man also felt the suspect grab his backpack in an attempt to take it. A short struggle ensued, but the victim retained his backpack.
Seattle police responded but were not able to find the suspect. Because of the effect of the pepper spray the victim could only report the suspect was a woman. If you witnessed this incident or have additional information about this crime or the suspect, please call the Seattle Police Department at 206-625-5011. The Seattle Police Department case report number is 18-093786. To report a crime in progress, or other suspicious activities or persons, call 911.
Crime Prevention Tips for Similar Incidents:
* Avoid confrontations whenever possible.
* When walking at night, do so with others or use Nightwalk on campus.
* Remove yourself from potentially dangerous situations as soon as possible.
If you suspect criminal activity, here is some helpful information to pass on to the police:
* Clothing descriptors: Look for layers under the visible layer, other distinctive design identifiers, etc.
* Physical characteristics: Height, weight, eye and hair color, mannerisms, scars or tattoos.
* Direction of travel, and whether traveling by foot or automobile.
Contact the University of Washington Police Community Engagement Unit at 206-685-1916 for additional crime prevention information