Notification of Criminal Incident – Seattle Campus
February 24, 2017
UPDATE – Suspect Arrested For University District Sexual Assault
Police have linked a suspected burglar arrested Monday by Seattle Police North Precinct patrol officers to a sexual assault last Thursday near the University of Washington campus. Details available here: http://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2017/02/24/sexual-assault-investigation-in-the-university-district/
Seattle Police detectives are currently investigating a sexual assault that occurred Thursday morning just north of the University of Washington campus. On February 23rd, at approximately 10:30 am, the victim woke to a stranger inside her bedroom in the 4700 block of 16th Avenue NE. The victim was assaulted before the suspect fled the area. The suspect remains at large, but is described as the following:
Dark skinned black male, late twenties; approximately 5’8″ tall, thin build, with very short curly black hair. He may have a slight gap between his top two front teeth. He may speak with a slight, “African” accent. He was wearing a maroon baseball hat with an unknown design, white long-sleeve shirt, dark blue jeans. He was carrying a white plastic bag.
If you have information about this crime or suspect, please call the Seattle Police Department Sexual Assault Unit at (206) 684-5575.
To report a crime in progress, or other suspicious activities or persons, call 911.
Crime Prevention Tips include:
* Perpetrators are solely responsible for their behavior.
* Trust your instincts. If you feel unsafe, get to a safe place and call for help.
* Sexual Assault is a crime and a violation of the UW Student Conduct Code.
* On campus, call Husky NightWalk: 206-685-WALK (9255) for a security guard escort, 7 days a week.
If you experience sexual assault:
* Go to a safe place.
* To report the crime, notify police immediately.
* Call a friend, a family member, or advocate who can be with you and give you support.
* Get medical care as soon as possible.
* Preserve all physical evidence of the assault.
* For more information see http://www.washington.edu/sexualassault/
Contact the University of Washington’s Safe Campus Office at 206-685-SAFE (7233) for help with a variety of safety concerns, including dating violence, sexual assault and stalking.