Notification of Criminal Incident – Seattle Campus
January 1, 2017
At 1:15 a.m. on Jan. 1, a man called Seattle police and reported that he had been assaulted and robbed in the 4700 block of 18th Ave. NE. The man, who is not affiliated with the University of Washington, told officers that his pistol had been taken in a strong-arm robbery, and that the pistol had gone off while he was struggling with the attacker. The suspect was described as a male in his early 20s wearing a black hoodie, cargo shorts, a Seahawks beanie, and small cornrows in his hair. He was last seen heading northbound on 17th Ave. NE.
Seattle and UW police officers responded to the call and no one fitting the description was located. If you witnessed this incident or have additional information about this crime or suspect, please call the Seattle Police Department at 206-625-5011. The case report number is 17-000116. To report a crime in progress, or other suspicious activities or persons, call 911.
Crime Prevention Tips for Similar Incidents:
* Avoid confrontations.
* When walking at night, do so with others or use Nightwalk on campus.
* Remove yourself from potentially dangerous situations as soon as possible.
If you suspect criminal activity, here is some helpful information to pass on to the police:
* Clothing descriptors: Look for layers under the visible layer, other distinctive design identifiers, etc.
* Physical characteristics: Height, weight, eye and hair color, mannerisms, scars or tattoos.
* Direction of travel, and whether traveling by foot or automobile.
Contact the University of Washington Police Community Engagement Unit at 206-616-0873 for additional crime prevention information.