Notification of Criminal Incident – Seattle Campus
January 17, 2018
At 10:48 p.m. on Jan. 16, Seattle police responded to the 4200 block of Roosevelt Way NE where a woman reported that she was assaulted and had her cell phone, glasses and wallet taken. The victim was approached from behind by a woman who tried to take her cell phone. A struggle ensued and the victim was pushed to the ground, losing control of her cell phone to the suspect. While lying on the ground, a second suspect, a man, reached into the victim.s jacket pocket and took her wallet and a pair of glasses. The victim was struck in the forehead during the incident but was not seriously injured.
Seattle police responded but were not able to find the suspects, who were last seen on foot headed east of the incident. The victim described one suspect as a black woman in her 20’s, 5-foot-3 with an average build, wearing a black, puffy ski coat and dark jeans. The second suspect was a black man in his 20’s, 5-foot-8 with a thin build, wearing a black ski jacket and he had a buzz cut. If you witnessed this incident or have additional information about this crime or the suspects, please call the Seattle Police Department at 206-625-5011. The Seattle Police Department case report number is 18-0019817. To report a crime in progress, or other suspicious activities or persons, call 9-1-1.
Crime Prevention Tips for Similar Incidents:
* Avoid confrontations whenever possible.
* When walking at night, do so with others or use Nightwalk on campus.
* Remove yourself from potentially dangerous situations as soon as possible.
If you suspect criminal activity, here is some helpful information to pass on to the police:
* Clothing descriptors: Look for layers under the visible layer, other distinctive design identifiers, etc.
* Physical characteristics: Height, weight, eye and hair color, mannerisms, scars or tattoos.
* Direction of travel, and whether traveling by foot or automobile.
Contact the University of Washington Police Community Engagement Unit at 206-616-0824 for additional crime prevention information.